Friday, November 28, 2008

Knock Us Over with a Feather!

God continues to give us wonderful surprise gifts of grace. Today we were walking home from taking a baby gift to a Korean family whom we are close to, and a car stopped right beside us. Puzzled as to what was going on, we stopped too, and a young woman jumped out of the front passenger seat and came rushing over to us. Lo and behold it was Julie Lane, a long-lost friend of ours from 25 years ago. Jeff and Julie were the pastoral family at the Mountville UMC when Nancy and I were at Stripling Chapel UMC, all back in the early 80s. Jeff and I were in a Teaching Parish group together, and our families had several occasions to share in joyous times. Julie is in Wilmore visiting with a friend whose husband has been ill. What makes this even more amazing is that she and Jeff have been following our blog and keeping up with us, and we didn't even know it! So Jeff, if you're out there and reading this, we hope you've kept your good looks as well as Julie has kept hers, and we wish y'all continued joy as you serve Christ together. To all our friends, this is a reminder of how precious your friendship is to us, and how thankful we are to God for bringing you into our lives. Much Love, Dan and Nancy

2 comments:

Jane said...

That's amazing!!! I guess it was quite a surprise. Warren and I both said we probably wouldn't have known Julie unless she identified herself.
What a sweet surprise.

wjlanesr said...

Dan,
Your kind words could have been written by me about you and Nancy. She told me you asked "Jeff with a beard?" Well, I still have a goatee beard, and it is almost solid white.
I found Jane Latham's blog some time ago, and have been quietly reading about their trips to South America, retirement, the grandbaby, etc. It is on her blog that I found a link to yours. I have been reading your blog for over half a year now. I should have spoken up before now. Be that as it may, both of your blogs bring smiles to my face, bring back a LOT of old memories, and strengthen my faith to see what God has done with both of your families. Frankly, when we were all in teaching parish together, I never expected less from both you and Warren.
Anyway, I have a blog also. It is an "escape" of sorts where I write about Auburn football, my family, our faith and life. Sounds heavy, but isn't. The address is http://patdyefield.blogspot.com

I will email you later with uptodate information on Julie and me. My personal email address is wjlanesr@gmail.com

And Jane, it was a sweet surprise!